Welcome!

Welcome to "Sermoneutics," a weekly devotional based on the upcoming texts from the Revised Common Lectionary. Each year I will blog about one set of lessons - Old Testament, Psalms, Epistles or Gospels. I include an original collect and compose a benediction, both based on the week's passage. I hope these will prove useful both for personal devotion and as "sermon starters" for those who preach regularly.

Pages

Saturday, September 29, 2012

St. Patrick and St. Job October 14, 2012 Twenty Third Sunday of Ordinary Time, Year B Job 23.1-9


           St. Patrick had a rough go of it in fifth century Ireland. The snakes were the least of it.
Details remain sketchy but it appears that he lived without legal or cultural protection because he refused to accept gifts from local kings, the only way to gain patronage. He writes of being beaten, robbed, and shackled. If the pagans were hard on him, the Christians may have been worse. In what appears to be a court brief he denies charges of taking bribes for baptisms and ordinations or accepting money from wealthy female converts.
Small wonder then that in his famous “Breastplate” prayer he cries out for for a full-on roll cage of the Lord’s protecting presence:

Christ be with me, Christ within me,
Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me.
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ in quiet, Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of all that love me,
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.

            Job had a tough time of things as well, managing to draw the unwelcome attention of the devil, who persecuted him, and of the saints, who threatened to theologize him to death. Like Patrick, Job prayed a prayer concerning the presence of the Lord in time of struggle, but his poem seldom gets stitched into samplers:

            Behold, I go forward but He is not there,
And backward, but I cannot perceive Him;
When He acts on the left, I cannot behold Him;
He turns on the right, I cannot see Him.

Like an NFL replacement referee, Job senses the action all around him but can make sense of none of it. He hunkers armorless on the ash heap and gropes and grasps for a God who has gone AWOL.
But God is right there all along. God’s voice chuckles in the lightest winds of that Cat-Five hurricane building just off the coast. Those winds will shout the Almighty’s words in just a few more chapters. If Job can’t find God, he doesn’t despair: God can always find him. “But He knows the way I take. . . .My foot has kept His way and not turned aside.”
In the depth of the soul’s dark night the saint sometimes cries a desperate “Marco!” to a Deus absconditus who refuses to respond with a single “Polo.” We hear the enemy’s arrows whine through the gloom and it seems our hearts have no protection. When we don’t know where to find God, the best strategy is to sit down in the middle of the Almighty’s will and refuse to budge. If we feel like abandoned baggage, let us at least remember that we bear a label which reads, “To be left until called for.”
In the Middle of Nowhere,
Doug


No comments:

Post a Comment