Welcome!

Welcome to "Sermoneutics," a weekly devotional based on the upcoming texts from the Revised Common Lectionary. Each year I will blog about one set of lessons - Old Testament, Psalms, Epistles or Gospels. I include an original collect and compose a benediction, both based on the week's passage. I hope these will prove useful both for personal devotion and as "sermon starters" for those who preach regularly.

Pages

Friday, May 4, 2012

BFF’s May 13, 2012 Sixth Sunday of Easter, Year B John 15.9-17



            In his final words to his disciples, Jesus sets up a sneaky and rather sickening syllogism. Major premise: You are My friends. How wonderful! But then the Lord lands the sucker-punch. Minor premise: You did not choose Me but I chose you implies the uncomfortable downside that nor did we choose each other. Conclusion: This I command you, that you love one another. Apparently, friendship with Christ includes a call to friendship with other Christians - all of them. An old proverb has it that you can choose your friends, but you can’t choose your relatives. Christians, however, can’t even choose their friends.
            As Charles Ryder, the fictional narrator of Evelyn Waugh’s Brideshead Revisited, heads off for his first year at Oxford, his cousin Jasper gives him some sage advice: “You’ll find you spend half your second year shaking off the undesirable friends you made in your first.” This snake-skin shedding of outgrown pals is so common that the psychologists have given it a name: socioemotional selectivity theory. Like the chambered nautilus, we wall off outgrown acquaintances, sentencing them to solitary confinement in the sealed-off cells of our inattention.  
You are My friends. . . .You did not choose Me but I chose you. . . . This I command you, that you love one another.
Along with clarifying the external boundaries of friendship, Jesus defines the internal qualities: availability and vulnerability, both of which he demonstrates.
Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. Calvary says that my life belongs to Christ who meets me in my friend. Laying down my whole life includes the trickier proposition of laying out my daily life in discrete parcels of seconds and dollars and deeds and words.
I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you. We shut out slaves from our vulnerable selves because you never know when the help might go blabbing to some tell-all biographer. Jesus didn’t dazzle the disciples with solutions to theological mysteries; he let them see his sweat-soaked humanity in the Garden of Gethsemane. Christian friendship demands the kind of honest living that shatters my marble façade and tells my sisters and brothers who I really am.
You can choose your friends, but you can’t choose your relatives. Christians, however, can’t even choose their friends. To paraphrase Proverbs 18.24, When Facebook friendships are only a click away, un-friending is just as easy, but Christ calls us to a friendship that runs deeper than family.

Friends Don’t Let Friends Go Friendless,
Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment