Welcome!

Welcome to "Sermoneutics," a weekly devotional based on the upcoming texts from the Revised Common Lectionary. Each year I will blog about one set of lessons - Old Testament, Psalms, Epistles or Gospels. I include an original collect and compose a benediction, both based on the week's passage. I hope these will prove useful both for personal devotion and as "sermon starters" for those who preach regularly.

Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Dead to Rights, Twenty-Third Sunday After Pentecost, October 27, 2013, Luke 18.9-14



            "I'm only a poor man. But I got to have my rights same as you, see?"
            "Oh no. It's not so bad as that. I haven't got my rights, or I should not be here. You will not get your rights either. You'll get something far better. Never fear."
            That snatch of dialogue from C. S. Lewis' Great Divorce nicely captures the essence of Jesus' famous tale. In Lewis' fable, a man who murdered one of his coworkers meets his former boss on the outskirts of Heaven. The boss, who has been hanging out in Hell, thinks something has gone wrong in Admin. "What I don't see is why I should be put below a bloody murderer like you." The short answer is that the homicide asked for mercy while the foreman demanded justice.
            Luke links the story of the dueling prayers with the preceding parable about the obsessive-compulsive widow in two ways. The more obvious is the statement, "And he also told this parable." (v.9) The less obvious is the use of a key word: "legal protection," v.3 and 5, and "justice," v.7 & 8, translate the same Greek word as "justified" in v.14. In the courtroom context of both episodes it refers to legal vindication, having the gavel come down in one's favor. In the first episode righteousness improbably falls on the one who deserves it but cannot enforce it. In the second episode righteousness alarmingly falls on the one who desires it but cannot claim it.
            The point in either case is the shocking reversal of the Kingdom of Heaven.
            If we watch carefully, we can almost see the mafia boss wink at the Sunday school superintendent as the two shuffle toward the exit. "It's not so bad as that," he grins through a two-day growth of stubble, breathing the fumes of last night's bender on the other man's perfect attendance pin. "I haven't got my rights. Who knows? Maybe you won't either!"
Right On!
Doug

1 comment: