Welcome!

Welcome to "Sermoneutics," a weekly devotional based on the upcoming texts from the Revised Common Lectionary. Each year I will blog about one set of lessons - Old Testament, Psalms, Epistles or Gospels. I include an original collect and compose a benediction, both based on the week's passage. I hope these will prove useful both for personal devotion and as "sermon starters" for those who preach regularly.

Pages

Friday, November 2, 2012

Pomp and Recompense November 11, 2012 Twenty-Seventh Sunday of Ordinary Time, Year B Mark 12.38-44




            Tony Celelli, our president here at the South Texas School of Christian Studies, recently received his doctoral regalia. It is stunning: a sort of steel-blue gown with cobalt blue chevrons picked out in gold piping, off the shoulder with a slit up one side. (All right, I made that last part up, but it would add some dash.) He has declared that henceforth we will wear gowns and hoods to our weekly faculty meetings.
            I don’t blame him!  I myself have never managed to develop the professional disdain one is supposed to display for the full regimentals of religious scholarship. I have owned my academic trappings for six years now and still look for opportunities to tog up, even to wear the hat – an oversized octagonal tam that looks like some sort of monstrous velvet sombrero. I worked hard for the right to wear this get-up and I feel smarter just hearing it swish around me as I walk. And I still get a charge every time someone refers to me as “Dr. Jackson.”
            All of that is harmless enough, I suppose, but Jesus took a dim view of such sartorial distinctions, and he wasn’t much for titles. The problem is that flowing robes have plenty of room for deep pockets and can cover up a lot in the way of ill-gotten gains. The position of seminary professor implies a certain holiness that I may not in fact possess, and can lead me to forget that an unnoticed widow may outdo me in her love for God.
            At the final moment of his conversion, St. Francis of Assisi shucked the silken finery he had always worn as a rich man’s son. No one is quite clear on how he then came by the battered brown tunic that the turned into a friar’s habit – some say he traded for it with a beggar; G. K. Chesterton speculates that he may have stolen it from a scarecrow. However he obtained his outfit, Francis was the man who made the clothes. “Ten years later,” records Chesterton, “that make-shift costume was the uniform of five thousand men, and a hundred years later in that, for a pontifical panoply, they laid great Dante in his grave.”
            Jesus warns against the deeply fallen assumption that what we wear tells the world who we are. Instead, Our Lord insists, who we are should transform what we wear. All the world’s wealth and all the world’s honors will not buy one thread of the white robe of Jesus’ exchanged righteousness, but two mites’ worth of self-sacrifice can purchase the Christ-given distinction of being great in the Kingdom of Heaven.
Suit Up!
Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment