Welcome!

Welcome to "Sermoneutics," a weekly devotional based on the upcoming texts from the Revised Common Lectionary. Each year I will blog about one set of lessons - Old Testament, Psalms, Epistles or Gospels. I include an original collect and compose a benediction, both based on the week's passage. I hope these will prove useful both for personal devotion and as "sermon starters" for those who preach regularly.

Pages

Friday, August 24, 2012

Triple Threat September 2, 2012 Seventeenth Sunday of Ordinary Time, Year B James 1:17-27




            “If you want your pastoral care to leap light-years ahead,” advises Fred D. McGehee, “fill it with genuineness, accurate empathy, and a gift-love known as nonpossessive warmth.” Or, as an older pastoral tract puts it, be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath.
            Empathy, McGehee contends, is “everyday mind reading” in which we enter the experience of others and thus find ourselves comprehending their words and actions. “Empathetic persons,” he concludes, “find it easy to believe in incarnation.” If I refuse the small act of inhabiting someone else’s thoughts, feelings and motives I can scarcely believe that God the Son really moved into my neighborhood of mortal flesh and was at all points tempted. If I am swift to hear, I can take other people seriously by letting their reality colonize my own.
“Genuine people,” McGehee explains, “model healthy self-disclosure. Consequently, they have less difficulty believing in divine revelation.” Oddly enough, silence can be more revealing than speech because it leaves our actions to write their own, unadjusted autobiography. If I’m choking up on the bat of self-disclosure, it’s hard to believe that God would swing away, even in the person of Jesus Christ. If I am slow to speak, I can belay the verbal spin-doctoring that protects my crafted self-image; people can see who I really am.
            Nonpossessive warmth loves without controlling. “The sole reward to the giver,” McGehee explains, “is to see the good this high positive regard does in the receiver’s life.” Consequently, “because of the way persons who practice nonpossessive warmth live their lives, they find it easy to believe in the biblical concept of divine redemption.” If I constantly calculate the payoff for loving others, I find it difficult to believe God doesn’t keep the same kind of balance sheet. If I quit angling for a jackpot I can stop being mad when loving people fails to pay off.
            Incarnation, revelation, and redemption: If I will listen up, shut up, and give up, I can invite people to experience the God of the Bible. Better still, I can even experience that God myself.
Believe Up to What You Live,
Doug



No comments:

Post a Comment